Monday, October 16, 2006

Witness to Crucifixion

As a child, I remember the local Filipinos participating in the annual re-enactment of Christ’s crucifixion. The event took place every Good Friday around noon. I lived in several in towns in the Philippines and have witnessed this event on several occasions. However, it didn’t really affect me until one year, I saw my uncle Armando dressed familiarly as one of the participants. It was said that the crucifixions in other towns did not compare to the realism that the Pampangan provinces – where I lived – brought to the event.

The crucifixion started out with several people walking ahead of the cross-bearers, followed by “two thieves”, with the “Christ” at the end. This particular year, my uncle was the last to carry his cross. The penitents ahead of the cross-bearers normally did not have shirts on, walked on bare feet, and beat their backs with bamboo whips.

I remember looking up in awe as my uncle carried the cross, with sweat and blood running down the side of his face --- blood from the crown of thorns he was wearing. I was so mesmerized that I couldn’t leave his side. My uncle was a handsome man, with a beard that made him look this day like the Jesus I had seen beneath the stained-glass windows in the Catholic Church. I walked the distance with him, seeing in front of us the two thieves and the bloody backs of the men ahead of them.

As we reached the “top of the hill” some of the penitents went home, but most of them lay flat against the ground. The two thieves were then prepared as each one is tied onto the cross then the crosses are lifted up and placed on pre-dug holes on the ground.
Meanwhile, my uncle’s hands and feet were nailed to the cross and his cross was the last to be raised up.

I remember clearly the look on my future aunt Mel’s face as she looked up to my uncle, her fiancé. As a young boy, I never really understood what that look meant. But now, thinking back, I realize that this was his way of telling her that he loved her as much as God loves us and I can see now that she knew that. It was his way of confessing his sins and the love she felt for him only solidified their commitment to Christ together as husband and wife.
…Wow, did I just write that???

As I’ve said before. I had a wonderful childhood.

2 Comments:

Blogger Terry said...

Dear Noel..Did they really do this in the Philippines?
Do they STILL?
It is just amazing how they COULD!
This certainly WOULD stick in your memory and just imagine such a little guy like yourself noticing that sacred look between your uncle Armando and your Auntie Mel !!
Are they still living and did that look of love stay in their eyes?
It must have been such an example to your own way of discovering how honorable marriage is and how it should be cherished!


Just imagine how the Lord's mother and his brothers and sisters and the disciples and all those that loved Jesus felt.
They would feel so helpless.
And his enemies? Did they feel Jesus's love when He prayed to His God, "Father forgive them for they know not what they do!"
I just love the Bill Gaither song.."When He was on the Cross, I was on His Mind."
The Lord was looking for each one of us by name in that large crowd and the song says that He looked out into the future and saw us!
We are so unworthy!
When He said "It is finished!", ALL of our sins were forgiven...Past , Present , and Future!

Noel, you have the gift of writing and this post has really moved me and caused the worship to fill my heart towards the Lord!

I can't feel sad for you tonight, Noel because I think you are feeling joy yourself!!...From Terry

1:41 AM  
Blogger Noel said...

They do this every year and still doing it. I thought about putting the crucifixion in my "List" but I don't know when I'd be going back, so I left it out. Last I heard, the waiting list is long.
Thank you, Terry, for your encouragements.

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home